Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bowie in Montague County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First National Bank of Bowie

 
 
First National Bank of Bowie Texas Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, August 8, 2015
1. First National Bank of Bowie Texas Marker
Inscription.  The oldest financial institution in Montague County, this bank was chartered on March 10, 1890, eight years after the town of Bowie was created on the line of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. Beginning with an initial capital of $50,000, it was the town's only surviving bank by 1931. Maintaining a strong civic commitment, the bank has provided financial assistance to local charitable organizations and provides a gathering place for local community groups. It has been an important part of county history for over one hundred years.
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1791.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is March 10, 1890.
 
Location. 33° 33.601′ N, 97° 50.891′ W. Marker is in Bowie, Texas, in Montague County. Marker is at the intersection of West Tarrant Street and North Mason Street (Texas Highway 59), on the right when traveling west on West Tarrant Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 W Tarrant St, Bowie TX 76230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured
First National Bank of Bowie Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, August 8, 2015
2. First National Bank of Bowie Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Montague County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home County of Governor James V. Allred (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery (approx. one mile away); United Methodist Church of Montague (approx. 10.2 miles away); Montague Pioneer Memorial (approx. 10.3 miles away); 1927 Montague County Jail (approx. 10.3 miles away); Montague County Courthouse (approx. 10.3 miles away); Montague Cemetery (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=88890

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 5, 2023