Tehama in Tehama County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Tehama Railroad Bridge
This bridge was originally board planked to also allow use by teamster wagons. The coming of the railroad and the building of this bridge caused a sharp decline in the riverboat trade on the Sacramento (River) resulting in hostilities between the railroad and riverboat companies.
The hostilities further heated when in 1892 the "Jacinto" found the new rails spiked to prevent the bridge from opening to allow passage. A representative of the steamboat company quickly resolved the problem when he informed the railroad to make the bridge operable so that dynamite wouldn't have to be used to do so. In less than 3 hours the "Jacinto" triumphantly steamed through.
Erected 2003 by E Clampus Vitus, Lassen-Loomis Outpost #1914 & Trinitarianus Chapter #62.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1871.
Location. 40° 1.674′ N, 122° 7.254′ W. Marker is in Tehama, California, in Tehama County. Marker is on C Street near Cavalier Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 C Street, Tehama CA 96090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Seat of Tehama County Government (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tehama County Museum Foundation (about 600 feet away); Old Tehama County Jail (about 700 feet away); Western Star Lodge No. 2 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 6.6 miles away); Lassen Trail - Lassen Rancho Site (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Hotel Maywood (approx. 7.6 miles away); Maywood Woman's Clubhouse (approx. 7.6 miles away); Miners Inn (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tehama.
More about this marker. This marker is located in a field (park?) between the railroad and C Street on the west side of the Sacramento River.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 29, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.