Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Central School

 
 
Central School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2015
1. Central School Marker
North side of two sided marker
Inscription.  The first Central School was built in 1871. The Grand Haven Tribune hailed the belfry-topped school as the "finest in the state" and "the pride of every citizen of Grand Haven." The newspaper blamed arsonists for burning the school on May 5, 1901, and stated that more than one man would "contribute his services to a lynching bee, if the firebug could be detected." A second school, built on this site in 1902, housed over 600 students in grades kindergarten through twelve. That school burned in 1963. The bell from the school was salvaged, but not usable. The following year the present elementary school opened. In 1965 the local Methodist church donated a bell from its old church so that the school could continue its tradition of ringing a school bell to call students to class.
 
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1655.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 43° 
Central School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2015
2. Central School Marker
south side of two sided marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
3.631′ N, 86° 13.521′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is on S. 6th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 South Sixth Street, Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ottawa County Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Akeley Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Coast Guard Boat Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (approx. half a mile away); Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915 (approx. half a mile away); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
 
Central School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, September 12, 2015
3. Central School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on October 7, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=89379

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022