Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Old Danbury Station
Has Been Placed On The
National Register Of
By The United States
Department Of The Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 41° 23.88′ N, 73° 27.011′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of White Street and Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 White Street, Danbury CT 06810, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilton Semaphore (within shouting distance of this marker); Boston & Maine ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul 1455 (within shouting distance of this marker); NYC Crane, “GCT-1” (within shouting distance of this marker); CV Flatcar (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meeker's Hardware (about 500 feet away); The Danbury Fire Department Danbury Yard Turntable (approx. 0.2 miles away); Higher Education (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danbury.
Regarding Old Danbury Station. The Old Danbury Station is now the home of the Danbury Railway Museum. When first built it was called Union Station. In 1950 part of Alfred Hitchcock's movie Strangers on a Train was filmed in and near the station. The station was closed in 1993. Commuters on Metro-North Railroad use an open platform to the south of the Danbury yard. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Many artifacts and photographs from railroads in Connecticut are on exhibit.
Also see . . .
1. Danbury Railway Museum. (Submitted on October 11, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Danbury Railway Museum on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 11, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 11, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. 5. submitted on October 12, 2015.