Near Clio in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/Pea River Presbyterian Church
Barbour County’s “Little Scotland”
In the 1820’s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of Scotland have had a larger proportion of people bearing the names of the great Highland clans. Between 1823-1960 within a five mile radius of Pea River Church, Highlanders with the names of Baxter, Currie, McCall, McDonald, McEachern, McInnis, McKay, McKinnon, McLean, McLendon, McLeod, McNeal and McRae lived. The families, serving the Lord, earned for the area the name “Little Scotland.”
Pea River Presbyterian Church
Erected 1993 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Pea River Presbyterian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 31° 44.309′ N, 85° 36.201′ W. Marker is near Clio, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on Alabama Route 51 north of Clio Short Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at Pea River Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville AL 36048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pea River Presbyterian Church Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to Memory of African Slaves (a few steps from this marker); Barbour County High School (approx. 2.2 miles away); Louisville World War II Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Old County Court House (approx. 4˝ miles away); Louisville (approx. 4.6 miles away); Louisville and "Old Alabama" (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Battles of Hobdy's Bridge and Pea River (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.