Evant in Coryell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Evant
In the spring of 1879 a camp meeting was held at Cottonwood Springs. New families began moving into the area, including the Murehead family from Rhode Island and the Thomas family from Wales, Great Britain. They began a Sunday school and invited area young people to join them in Methodist worship. As they grew in numbers they joined the Methodist Church.
In 1884, the Baptists built the first church building in the community. The Methodists shared the structure with other denominations until 1905 when they erected their own building. It was moved across the street in 1937 due to highway development.
The Methodist church in the nearby Vista community joined with Evant Methodist in 1949 and they dedicated a new brick building that year in a ceremony led by the presiding bishop. The congregation’s growth reached its 20th century peak in 1963 with 201 members. The Evant United Methodist Church continues in the traditions of its founders.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14520.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the United Methodist Church Historic Sites series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 31° 28.656′ N, 98° 9.128′ W. Marker is in Evant, Texas, in Coryell County. It is on U.S. 281 north of W. Wurts Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evant TX 76525, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Evant (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin F. Gholson (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pearl Church of Christ (approx. 8.2 miles away); Pearl Baptist Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); Pearl Methodist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Pearl School (approx. 8.8 miles away); Pearl Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away); Hamilton-Soules House (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evant.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.


