Newport Heritage Park
Route of the United States Despatch Riders
who entered Perry County through Sterrett’s Gap (originally Croghan’s Gap), crossed the Juniata River at Reider’s Ferry, bearing orders from the United States Government War Department to the forces at the front, on the Canadian Border during the War with Great Britain (1812-1814).
Site of Landing of Reider’s Ferry
This marker is located at the original landing of Reiders’s Ferry, also the name of the first settlement her, later known as Reidersville, and since the coming of the Penna. Canal in 1829, as Newport. Reider’s Ferry was established prior to 1804 by John, Paul and Daniel Reider who plotted the original lots of Newport.
Erected by the Perry County Historical Society 1960
Though the commitment and loyalty of the residents of this community to recover from natural and economic adversities, the community remains intact and prospers. In recognition of those residents, we rededicated this memorial on July 22, 1990.
Newport Celebrates 175 years July 19-25, 2015
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic
Location. 40° 28.609′ N, 77° 7.961′ W. Marker is in Newport, Pennsylvania, in Perry County. Memorial is on Market Street (PA 34). This marker is located in the park next to St Paul's Lutheran Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport PA 17074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Railroad Era (here, next to this marker); St. Paul’s Lutheran Church (here, next to this marker); The Canal Era (here, next to this marker); The Settlement of Newport (a few steps from this marker); Newport Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Newport Fugitive Slave Rescue (a few steps from this marker); Carson Long Military Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away); Carson Long Institute (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 255 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.