— Third Avenue Historic District —
This visually prominent building is a handsome example of the two-part commercial block style common during the period. It originally anchored what was once downtown's principal business corner prior to the completion of the Michigan Street Bridge in 1931. The building remained in continuous use as a hardware store until 1979. The rear addition was built around 1900 as a tin shop and utilized similar brick construction and detailing. The ornately detailed entablature and cornice of corbelled brickwork provide a hint of the Classical Revival style. The six bay primary façade utilizes implied brick pilasters to visually separate the two outer bays. Limestone sills and lintels accent the cream-colored brick. The building retains its original storefront opening and general appearance, although recent modifications have utilized modern materials.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 44° 50.146′ N, 87° 22.674′ W. Marker is in Sturgeon
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Sturgeon Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); ‘Old Bell’ Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); 110-114 North 3rd Avenue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merchants Exchange Bank (about 600 feet away); Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sturgeon Bay Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Propellers from the tug John Purves (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Museum Tug John Purves (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sturgeon Bay.
Regarding Hay Hardware. Building contributes to the Third Avenue National Register Historic District.
Also see . . .
1. Third Avenue Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Welcome to Sturgeon Bay. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 25, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.