Maitland in Leeds and Grenville United Counties, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
St. James Church 1826
Among Augusta Township's earliest settlers were a number of Anglican Loyalists who, by 1785, we're holding services in private houses. The first resident missionary, the Reverend John Bethune, was appointed to this area in 1814. Reverend Robert Blakey served the parish from 1821 until his death in 1858, and during his incumbency construction of St. James Church was begun in 1826. A pleasing example of early Gothic Revival architecture, this structure was built by John Shephard, a local mason, on land donated by a parishioner, George Longely. It was consecrated in 1830 by the Rt Rev. Charles James Stewart, Bishop of Québec, and it remains largely unaltered from its original design.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 44° 38.298′ N, 75° 36.834′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville United Counties. Marker is on Church Street, 0.3 kilometers north of Ontario Highway 2, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Church Street, Maitland ON K0E 1P0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Douglas Rupert Dumbrille (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dorothy Martha Dumbrille (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Pointe Au Baril (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Maitland (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dumbrille's Store (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.6 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maitland.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.