Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Gabarron Foundation

Formerly the George S. Bowdoin Stable

 

— 149 East 38th Street —

 
The Gabarron Foundation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
1. The Gabarron Foundation Marker
Inscription.  Designed by Ralph S. Townsend in the Dutch Revival Style, this Stable was erected in 1902. George S. Bowdoin, a partner in the banking firm of J.P. Morgan and Company, bought the building in 1907 to serve as the private stable for his nearby residence. The facade is distinguished by oversized quoins and vouissors and an elaborate stepped gable featuring a bulldog sculpted in high relief. Two horse heads above the ground floor allude to the building's use. Later a garage and now the Gabarron Foundation Carriage House Center for the Arts, the building serves as a reminder of a time when stables were an important part of daily city life.
 
Erected 2008 by New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music.
 
Location. 40° 44.916′ N, 73° 58.613′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on East 38th Street west of 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 East 38th Street, New York NY 10016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
The Gabarron Foundation Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
2. The Gabarron Foundation Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here between the middle- and right-hand doors.
walking distance of this marker. 152 East 38th Street (a few steps from this marker); John Paul II House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Light (about 500 feet away); Sniffen Court (about 600 feet away); Murray Hill Historic District (about 600 feet away); 67 Park Avenue (about 700 feet away); Malvina Hoffman (about 800 feet away); Mary Lindley Murray (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
Regarding The Gabarron Foundation. Vouissor = a wedge-shaped stone used in building an arch or vault.


Note that the marker may be due for a name change at some point in the near future, as the Gabarron Foundation put the property on the market recently.
 
Also see . . .  The Quaint 1902 Bowdoin Stables -- 149 East 38th Street. "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on April 13, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Horse's Head Alluding to the Building's Use image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
3. Horse's Head Alluding to the Building's Use
Stepped Gable with Bulldog image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 4, 2014
4. Stepped Gable with Bulldog
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 27, 2020