Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Ashbel Smith Building)
Although rooms were almost devoid of equipment, the school boasted a young, vigorous staff. Enrollment in 1891 was 23.
The building was named in 1949 for Ashbel Smith (1805-86), pioneer surgeon, diplomat, and "Father of the University of Texas".
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7539.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 18.684′ N, 94° 46.745′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from The Strand Street east of 11th Street, on the left when traveling east. The marker is at the big red/orange building, on the left of the big stairs. If you look carefully you can see it just to the left of the narrow arched opening. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Galveston Medical College (a few steps from this marker); St. Mary's Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Davidson-Penland House (approx. 0.3 miles away); James S. Waters House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Near Campsites of Louis-Michel Aury and Francisco Xavier Mina (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jean Lafitte (approx. 0.4 miles away); Menard-Ganter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jacobs Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding "Old Red". This building is in the National Registry of Historic Places. Now called "Old Red" this is the first, and originally the only, building of the first medical school in Texas
Also see . . .
1. University of Texas Medical Branch. (Submitted on August 17, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Ashbel Smith Building. Wikipedia (Submitted on August 17, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Additional keywords. Galveston Medical College, University of Texas Medical Branch
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on October 31, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.