Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Bolivar County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Hill Demonstration School

 
 
Hill Demonstration School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 17, 2015
1. Hill Demonstration School Marker
Inscription.  In 1926 the Hill Demonstration School opened for grades one through six, with kindergarten classes added in 1929. This laboratory-style school for Delta State student teachers had an initial enrollment of twenty-five and was housed in the basement of the men's dormitory, Hardee Hall. In 1930, the school moved to Hill Hall with space for administrative offices, classrooms, and an auditorium. The Hill Demonstration School closed in April 1957.
 
Erected 2014 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1957.
 
Location. 33° 44.628′ N, 90° 44.023′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Mississippi, in Bolivar County. Marker is at the intersection of North Fifth Avenue and South Court Street, on the right when traveling south on North Fifth Avenue. Located in front of the Delta State University Roberts-LaForge Library. Touch for map. Marker is at
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
or near this postal address: North Fifth Avenue, Cleveland MS 38732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Marshall Plan (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grammy Museum® Mississippi (approx. 0.3 miles away); Delta Blues Inspires W.C. Handy (approx. half a mile away); Bolivar County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Bolivar County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Enlightenment of W.C. Handy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Margaret Wade (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Cleveland Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Also see . . .  Hill Demonstration School holds reunion at Delta State University. (Submitted on October 31, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Marker in front of Roberts-LaForge Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 17, 2015
2. Marker in front of Roberts-LaForge Library
View of marker south towards South Court Street. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 17, 2015
3. View of marker south towards South Court Street.
Looking north on North Fifth Avenue. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 17, 2015
4. Looking north on North Fifth Avenue.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 122 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90127

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024