Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knippa in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Knippa

 
 
Town of Knippa Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, October 28, 2015
1. Town of Knippa Marker
Inscription.  Served by the Texas & New Orleans Railroad since 1882, this area was settled in 1887 by George Knippa. A freighter who worked between East Texas and Mexico, Knippa also encouraged many friends to move to the fertile land of this county. In 1899 gold-mining was tried here by an aged, white-bearded stranger known as Wilson. In 1900 the community acquired a post office and in 1909 a town was laid out. Previously called Chatfield, it was renamed Knippa. The Trap Rock Mine, a stone and gravel business which started in 1913, is still in operation.
 
Erected 1969 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5533.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 29° 17.67′ N, 99° 38.264′ W. Marker is in Knippa, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on U.S. 90, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knippa TX 78870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garner Army Air Field
Town of Knippa Marker location with US Hwy 90 in the foreground image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, October 28, 2015
2. Town of Knippa Marker location with US Hwy 90 in the foreground
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 8.2 miles away); Site of Camp Sabinal (approx. 9˝ miles away); USS Uvalde (approx. 9.9 miles away); Sabinal Methodist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Schwartz House (approx. 10.6 miles away); Rice Hotel and Saddlery (approx. 10.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Uvalde (approx. 10.7 miles away); The Uvalde "Leader-News" (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 143 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90162

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 5, 2021