Galt in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Built 1884 ˜ organized as an
Episcopal Mission 1901
100 yr. Celebration 12/16/84
Erected by Galt Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 38° 15.166′ N, 121° 18.461′ W. Marker is in Galt, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and B Street, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galt CA 95632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George A. Lippi / Joseph F. Smith (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Don Ray Building (about 700 feet away); Galt Water Tower (approx. ¼ mile away); Chism Cooper Fugitt and Elizabeth (McWilliams) Fugitt (approx. 2 miles away); Liberty Flag Pole (approx. 2 miles away); Cemetery of Children (approx. 2.1 miles away); Louis Andreas (approx. 2.1 miles away); Liberty California (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galt.
1. Galt First Church
The third church in Galt was the First Congregational Church on the corner of 3rd and B streets. It was the result of the efforts of John McFarland and Doctor Obed Harvey. Under the leadership of the two men, the congregation made donations and raised the funds for their church.
The cornerstone was laid in May, 1884. The bell, pews, millwork and stained glass windows were shipped from San Francisco. The body of the church was 48 feet long, 32 feet wide and 30 feet high. The tall slender steeple is 84 feet high. One window was donated in memory of Maude Harvey, infant daughter of Oved and Susan Harvey.
In 1901, a small group asked to use the church for Episcopal services twice a month, and until 1914, both Congregational and Episcopal services were held there.
In 1914, the Mission Guild was formed. Members of this organization helped raise money for the church through their annual bazaar, which is still held today.
Sometime in the early 1920's the church changed it's name from First Congregational to St. Luke's Episcopal Church. In 1923, it established the Guild Hall, a church social hall, in a building on property donated by Mr. and Mrs. Hull McClaughry. This property was sold to the Galt Fire District where a firehouse
Among the pioneer names listed in the church roster are McFarland, Harvey, Orr, and Sawyer. St. Luke's Church celebrated its centennial in 1984. This historic structure had been persevered as it was built. Its tall steeple is easily visible from 4th Street.
— Submitted November 3, 2015.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2015, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2015, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.