Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Green River in Sweetwater County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Green River City Hall - 1942-1954

 
 
Green River City Hall - 1942-1954 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2015
1. Green River City Hall - 1942-1954 Marker
Captions: (bottom left) Before Renovation, the old city hall building is shown being moved by the City Parks crew in January of 1995 to its current location. Restoration of the building was a project of the Green River Historic Preservation Commission in cooperation with the City of Green River.; (upper right) Green River Town Hall from 1942 through 1954 is shown at its original location at 52 North Second East Street. Left to right are Tom Siegel; his father Walt Siegel, Justice of the Peace; and Chris Jessen, Chief Police.
Inscription.  This building was located at 52 North Second East Street from 1942 through 1954, located just north of the alley and one-half block north of the Union Pacific Railroad depot. It was used for office space by the TOWN OF GREEN RIVER.
This building is a small, one-room, tongue-and-groove, wooden structure with a sliding side window which overlooked a scale for weighing and checking loads of coal, etc.
The property on which this building was located was sold to the Fraternal Order of Eagles in 1954, at which time the town offices were moved to their newly-built offices at 89 West First North Street (later known as Flaming Gorge Way).
In 1954, the old city hall building was removed from the 52 North Second East location and stored by the town west of Evers Park.
In 1955, the Green River Historic Preservation Commission, in cooperation with the City Parks Division, moved the building and restored it at its present site.
 
Erected by Green River Historic Preservation Commission and City of Green River.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
 
Location. 41° 31.407′ N, 109° 28.196′ W. Marker is in Green River, Wyoming, in Sweetwater County. Marker is on South 2nd East Street near East 4th South Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 398 South 2nd East Street, Green River WY 82935, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverside Swimming Pool (here, next to this marker); Norm Nevills & A.K. Reynolds - 1940's (within shouting distance of this marker); The French Trio - 1938 (within shouting distance of this marker); Buzz Holstrom (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Major Wesley Powell and Party (about 300 feet away); The Damsite Surveys (about 400 feet away); Kolb Brothers (about 400 feet away); William Ashley - 1825 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green River.
 
Green River City Hall - 1942-1954 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2015
2. Green River City Hall - 1942-1954 Marker
The marker is in front of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90249

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024