Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Myers in Lee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Motor Generator

 
 
Motor Generator Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
1. Motor Generator Marker
Inscription.  
Motor Generator

The Hertner Electric Company
Cleveland, Ohio
Serial No. 2528
15 hp 220v 30 60 Hz
37A 1750 RPM
400 C Continuous Duty

Throughout the history of Seminole Lodge various equipment was used to supply or produce power. This motor generator and housing came to the property in 1928. A cable connected to the motor extended down to the riverbank to recharge Edisonís battery-powered boat; an electric launch named Reliance. It may have also lit the lights along the pier, as well as the lanterns hanging in the Summer House situated at the end of the pier. In 1928 all overhead electric wiring was placed underground. Henry Ford financed these improvements and other projects in the 1920s, in exchange for Edisonís donation of the 1886 Fort Myers laboratory to Fordís Greenfield Village museum.

Edisonís invention and business life included extensive and successful work with integrated power systems. Edison placed an “isolated” power system on the south end of the 1886 laboratory as part of the original plan for the Fort Myers Estate. The local newspaper reported
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
that some 350 townspeople came out to witness the new technology light up the site on March 27, 1887. Though Edison was interested in bringing electricity to the rest of Fort Myers, a number of reasons prevented the project. Years later in 1898, local resident A.A. Gardner franchised the first electric plant to the city.

The electrical lines extended beyond the Edison property by 1919. At that time Edison disassembled the original power system components and sent them to his New Jersey laboratory. Today one can view them at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EnvironmentIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
 
Location. 26° 38.067′ N, 81° 52.804′ W. Marker is in Fort Myers, Florida, in Lee County. Marker can be reached from McGregor Boulevard south of Larchmont Avenue, on the right when traveling south. The marker is inside the Edison & Ford Winter Estates. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2350 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers FL 33901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edison Family Home Seminole Lodge (here, next to this marker); Edison Estate Restoration and Rebirth (here, next to this marker); Orchid Lane and Friendship Walk (here, next to this marker); Clara Fordís Michigan Rose Garden
Motor Generator image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
2. Motor Generator
(here, next to this marker); Edisonís ďFlorida ParadiseĒ (here, next to this marker); Inside the Ford Home (here, next to this marker); Henry Ford (here, next to this marker); Henry Ford's Florida Estate (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Myers.
 
Also see . . .  Edison & Ford Winter Estates. (Submitted on November 6, 2015.)
 
Motor Generator image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
3. Motor Generator
The Edison family enjoyed many trips along the Caloosahatchee River in the Reliance. The batteries which powered the excursion boat were recharged by the Hertner motor generator.
Motor Generator image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
4. Motor Generator
Part of the power generating system was located inside the original Edison laboratory The small dynamo and flywheel can be seen in the left corner of this image as well as a portion of the brick coal furnace situated in a room at the east end of the lab
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2015, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2015, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90288

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024