Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Towanda in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Courthouse Annex

Court Street

 
 
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
1. Courthouse Annex Marker
Inscription.  The second Bradford County Courthouse, located directly behind the present Courthouse, was constructed in 1847 and occupied in 1850. It was not long before the growing business of the county caused the Courthouse to become overcrowded. An annex was erected in 1857 housing offices of the prothonotary and register and recorder. From 1903 to 1974 the annex served the Bradford County Historical Society as its headquarters. The brick “fireproof annex” has a hipped roof design; stone lintels and sills; decorative brick work; center parahet; and a cut stone foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 41° 46.016′ N, 76° 26.54′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Company M, 9th Penna Volunteer Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Century Farm Program (within shouting
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradford County Soldiers & Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradford County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Naming of Towanda (within shouting distance of this marker); Frost's Furniture Factory (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towanda.
 
Also see . . .  Towanda Borough Historic District. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
2. Courthouse Annex Marker
Courthouse Annex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2017
3. Courthouse Annex Marker
Courthouse Annex and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2017
4. Courthouse Annex and Marker
Courthouse Annex image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2017
5. Courthouse Annex
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   3, 4, 5. submitted on November 6, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90320

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024