First Presbyterian Church
5 Court Street
In 1834 the congregation built their first church on the north side of Pine Street but it was not until 1835 that the church was declared The First Presbyterian Church of Towanda. Construction was started in 1853, on this site, donated by Edward Overton, a key figure in the commercial growth of Towanda. The building was first occupied in 1855. The gothic revival style Presbyterian Church was a dentilated brick tower with flat roof and castellated buttress; lancet windows; and elaborate brick corbelling.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 41° 46.004′ N, 76° 26.54′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Court Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse Annex (a few steps from this marker); Company M, 9th Penna Volunteer Infantry
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.