Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Towanda in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Daily Review

116 Main St.

 
 
The Daily Review Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
1. The Daily Review Marker
Inscription.  This handsome building was built in 1896 using stone from the same quarry as the Courthouse, Old Jail and Christ Episcopal Church. The building is Italianate style with a hipped roof and pressed metal cornice with paired brackets and dentils. The projecting oriel windows feature a swag detail between the floors. It was once called the “Ontario Block” because a men’s club of that name was located on the second floor. On the first floor were four stores. Today the building is the publishing center for The Daily and Sunday Review newspaper, whose first president was D. M. Turner. The Turner family was principal stockholder of the Towanda Printing Co. until summer 1977.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. 41° 46.129′ N, 76° 26.589′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 Main Street, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephen Foster (a few steps from this marker); Towanda Public Library
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Towanda First Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Macfarlane House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal House (about 500 feet away); Edward Overton House (about 600 feet away); World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Bradford County Soldiers & Sailors Monument (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towanda.
 
Also see . . .  The Daily Review, Towanda PA. (Submitted on November 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
The Daily Review Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
2. The Daily Review Marker
The Daily Review Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 23, 2017
3. The Daily Review Building and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on November 8, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90322

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024