In the spring of 1847 a pioneer band left Winter Quarters to cross the Plains to the Great Salt Lake Valley. Thousands of others followed this trail. In 1855, Young was forced to utilize handcarts for transportation. The first company, comprising about five hundred persons, left here on July 17 and reached the Valley on September 26, 1856.
The town of Florence, established in 1854 was built upon the site of Winter Quarters. James C. Mitchell and Associates of the Florence Land Company established a thriving community. The Bank of Florence, built in 1856, stands today as a symbol of our historical past.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mormon Pioneer Trail, and the Nebraska State Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 41° 20.144′ N, 95° 57.625′ W. Marker is in Florence, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of 30th Street and Mormon Street, on the left when traveling north on 30th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bank of Florence (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mormon Pioneer Memorial Bridge (about 600 feet away); From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate (about 700 feet away); A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness (about 700 feet away); The Mormon Pioneer Trail (approx. half a mile away); A Meeting House for the Saints (approx. half a mile away); The Florence Mill (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Florence Mill (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2015, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?