Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ocala in Marion County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Courthouse Square

 
 
The Old Courthouse Square Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James R. Murray, 11.13.15
1. The Old Courthouse Square Marker
Located to the right of the Gazebo in the Ocala Downtown Square
Inscription.  Designated as a Public Square in the original Ocala plat of 1846, this location was the site of Marion County’s first permanent courthouse built in 1851. It was a two-story frame building of Colonial design. The second courthouse was erected on this site in 1884, a two-story brick cube. Public dissatisfaction caused a third courthouse with more adequate space to be built in 1906. It was of Roman design with a clock dome and veneered walls of Indiana sandstone. In 1965, when public efforts to save it failed, it was demolished. This site was given by Marion County to the City of Ocala in a property exchange, becoming a city park, thus retaining its function as a Public Square as planned by the city’s founders.
 
Erected 1997 by Marion County Historical Commission and Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-379.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
 
Location. 29° 11.209′ N, 82° 8.199′ W. Marker is in Ocala, Florida, in Marion County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of East Silver Springs Boulevard (State Road 40) and Southeast Magnolia Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Silver Springs Boulevard. Marker is located to the right of Ocala Downtown Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ocala FL 34470, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gazebo (a few steps from this marker); Ocala Demands (a few steps from this marker); Agnew-Gary Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Ocala National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Hall Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gary Block Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Marion Block (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocala.
 
The Old Courthouse Square Marker after restoration image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 1, 2020
2. The Old Courthouse Square Marker after restoration
The Old Courthouse Square Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James R. Murray, November 13, 2015
3. The Old Courthouse Square Marker
The Old Courthouse Square Marker looking west image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 1, 2020
4. The Old Courthouse Square Marker looking west
The Old Courthouse - demolished in 1965 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Florida Memory, circa 1920s
5. The Old Courthouse - demolished in 1965
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 13, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.   2. submitted on June 2, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.   3. submitted on November 13, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.   4, 5. submitted on June 2, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90553

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024