Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Vicinity of Bradbury Settlement

(2 mi. above forks of N. and S. Llano rivers)

 
 
Bradbury Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, May 15, 2012
1. Bradbury Settlement Marker
Inscription.  One of earliest Kimble County communities. Opened by James Bradbury, Sr., a frontiersman. Between 1850 and 1864 he moved here from Williamson County with six children, after death of his wife. He erected several picket or log buildings, and had blacksmith shop for repairing guns and tools. Main business was ranching. Diet included fish, game, honey and bear meat cured as bacon. Five other men (some with families) lived nearby.

Bradbury was killed in 1872 in an Indian fight. In 1875 his land was bought and occupied by Dr. E.K. Kountz and family.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5624.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 30° 28.893′ N, 99° 46.889′ W. Marker is near Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of Rio Vista Street (Route 377) and South 20th Street, on the right when traveling west on Rio Vista Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Walter Taylor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Isaac Kountz (approx. ¼ mile away); Marvin E. and Retta Ann Blackburn House (approx. half a mile away); Junction School Campus (approx. half a mile away); College Street Church of Christ (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Junction (approx. 0.8 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Junction (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Rock Store, 1879 (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Isaac Kountz, son of Dr. E.K. Kountz referenced on marker, killed nearby by Indians in 1876.
 
Vicinity of Bradbury Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, May 15, 2012
2. Vicinity of Bradbury Settlement Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90735

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 15, 2024