Near Nora in Dickenson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Buffalo School
Erected 2013 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number XB-10.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 37° 4.8′ N, 82° 20.987′ W. Marker is near Nora, Virginia, in Dickenson County. Marker is on Dante Mountain Road (Virginia Route 63) near Buffalo Creek Road (County Route 681). It is just north of Nora. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nora VA 24272, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Mullins (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ralph Stanley Museum (approx. 7.6 miles away); Colley’s Cabin (approx. 8.1 miles away); Clintwood (approx. 8.3 miles away); Dr. Tivis C. & Emma SutherlandIndian and Settler Conflict (approx. 9.3 miles away); Dickenson County (approx. 11.1 miles away); Daniel Webster Dotson (approx. 11.2 miles away).
More about this marker. This 2013 marker replaced one with the same number, title and text at this location that was originally erected in 1972 by the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission.
Also see . . . School & Community History of Dickenson County Virginia. 1994 book edited by Dennis Reedy available on Amazon.com. “Without doubt, Old Buffalo School, near the headwaters of McClure River near Nora, Va., was the most noted school. This old school was built at the mouth of Buffalo Creek and was first a subscription school of about three months term. All the pupils were grown men and women. They paid $1.00 per month. Some time before 1879, this old building was burned. Soon afterwards people became interested in having a free school there. Simpson Dyer, Sr., offered the land and furnished the timber to build the old school house. Elijah Counts stuck the first ax in the first log for the new building. They built a large chimney in one end, a large door in the other end, a window on each side of the room three feet by six feet, and long split log benches. In 1885, E.C. Rasnick or J.C. Rasnick made new desks of sawed planks.” (Submitted on November 18, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 18, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.