Clintwood in Dickenson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The name originally was Holly Creek. In 1882 the county seat of Dickenson County was moved from Ervington to this place, which was named Clintwood for Major Henry Clinton Wood. The town was incorporated in 1894. With the coming of the railroad to the county in 1915, the population rapidly increased as the mineral and timber resources were opened.
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number XB-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 37° 8.943′ N, 82° 28.336′ W. Marker is in Clintwood, Virginia, in Dickenson County. Marker is at the intersection of Dikenson Highway (Virginia Route 83) and Hughes Hollow Road, on the left when traveling west on Dikenson Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clintwood VA 24228, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ralph Stanley Museum (approx. 0.8 miles away); John Mullins (approx. 0.9 miles Dickenson County (approx. 4 miles away); Daniel Webster Dotson (approx. 4.1 miles away); Wise County / Dickenson County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pound, Virginia (approx. 7.2 miles away); Francis Gary Powers — U2 Pilot (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Buffalo School (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clintwood.
Regarding Clintwood. “When the Civil War came on, H. C. Wood organized a company in the county, which became part of the 37th Virginia Infantry Regiment [Confederate]. Captain Wood’s company participated in the battles of Cross Keys, Port Republic, Gains’ Mill, and Cold Harbor. At Gains’ Mill, Col. S. V. Fulkerson fell mortally wounded. His death made necessary a readjustment of the officers of his regiment. Capt. Henry Clinton Wood was made Major, and J. H. (Harvey) Wood, his brother, was promoted
to the position of Captain. Major Wood was present at, and participated in, forty-two engagements, varying in magnitude from the battle of Cross Keys to the battle of Gettysburg. He was wounded in the battle of Chancellorsville, but lost little time from his command. His
The railroad mentioned on the marker was the Clinchfield Railroad (Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway), today part of CSX Transportation. The railroad never came through Clintwood. It ran further east through Haysi and Nora.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 20, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 2. submitted on February 8, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3. submitted on November 20, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.