River Edge in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This is a reproduction of an 18th century military camp kitchen. Camp kitchens like these were generally constructed when an 18th century army was encamped for a few days or weeks. Each kitchen could accommodate 11 to 12 fireplaces with chimneys dug down from the shelf that was created. Evidence and details on their construction can be found in Humphry Bland’s 1762 Treatise of Military Discipline as well as The Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the Troops of the United States Part I. published in 1779 by Baron Friedrich Von Steuben. Future archaeologists may find these were used during the Steenrapie Encampment of 1780, when 14,000 troops encamped along Kinderkamack Road on what is today River Edge and Oradell.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 54.782′ N, 74° 1.924′ W. Marker is in River Edge, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located next to the Campbell-Christie House at Historic New Bridge Landing. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Campbell – Christie House (within shouting distance of this marker); The (Von) Steuben House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Demarest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic New Bridge Landing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Historic New Bridge Landing (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Historic New Bridge Landing (about 400 feet away); The Zabriskie House (about 400 feet away); New Bridge (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in River Edge.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains an illustration of Revolutionary War soldiers cooking at a camp kitchen.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 22, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 5. submitted on September 25, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.