Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., November 14, 2015
1. First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  When the First Methodist Episcopal Church opened in June 1892, the Ypsilantian called it "an ornament to the city." The church typifies Akron Plan churches, popular among late nineteenth century Protestants. The Akron architectural firm of Weary and Kramer designed the seating in arcs to give each person a full view of the minister. Washtenaw County Methodism dates from 1825 when itinerant minister Reverend Elias Pattee organized a class in the nearby settlement of Wooodruff's Grove. Pattee served the Huron circuit, which extended from Detroit west to present-day Jackson. This church building is the third to serve the congregation.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1961.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1892.
 
Location. 42° 14.607′ N, 83° 36.884′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker
First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, May 12, 2021
2. First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Entrance to church with marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at the intersection of North Washington Street and Washtenaw Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Washtenaw Ave, Ypsilanti MI 48197, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ladies' Literary Club House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); 220 N. Huron (about 700 feet away); Ypsilanti (about 700 feet away); In Loving Memory of Carpenters Post No. 180 (about 800 feet away); Facing the Fire (approx. 0.2 miles away); Food and Drink (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elijah McCoy (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
 
Also see . . .
1. Church History. (Submitted on November 24, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Akron Plan. (Submitted on November 24, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., November 14, 2015
3. First Methodist Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 24, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   2. submitted on May 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3. submitted on November 24, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=90905

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022