Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nazareth in Castro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Home Mercantile

 
 
Home Mercantile Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Home Mercantile Marker
Inscription.  For 90 years, starting in 1905, Nazareth residents purchased goods here. The original wood-framed structure, built by Fred Heidgerken with living quarters above, opened its main floor to home shopping needs and the storing and selling of fresh meat and dairy products, in 1928. Ed Kern and Conrad Schulte built a new brick and concrete building, the first in town, that came to include the post office from 1937-1980. The building also hosted such social activities as weekly poker games, amateur boxing matches, a community bulletin board, and occasional liquor sales from the back door. While the store closed in 1995, social and cultural events of the community continue to be celebrated here.
 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17942.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
 
Location. 34° 32.687′ N, 102° 6.125′ W. Marker is in Nazareth, Texas, in Castro County. Marker is on Second Street north of Leo Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Second Street, Nazareth TX 79063, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Family Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holy Family Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Summerfield-Dameron Corner (approx. 6.4 miles away); Arney School (approx. 9.9 miles away); Spring Lake Pasture Division of the XIT Ranch (approx. 17.1 miles away).
 
Home Mercantile Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Home Mercantile Marker
Home Mercantile image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. Home Mercantile
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 30, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91122

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024