Tulia in Swisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Tulia
With financial and labor assistance from the entire community, the Methodists built the town's first church building in 1897 with lumber hauled from Amarillo. The tradition of shared services continued, and the Baptist and Presbyterian congregations also worshiped in the Methodist church building until their own facilities were built.
Church membership grew steadily, closely paralleling Tulia's population growth. A new sanctuary was completed in 1929, and by the early 1960s additional facilities were required to meet the congregation's needs. After a denominational name change in 1968, it became known as First United Methodist Church. In 1979, the congregation welcomed the membership of Trinity United Methodist Church in a merger of the two congregations. First United Church continues to serve the citizens of Tulia with a
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1772.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 34° 32.295′ N, 101° 46.035′ W. Marker is in Tulia, Texas, in Swisher County. Marker is at the intersection of North Briscoe Avenue and NW 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on North Briscoe Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 North Briscoe Avenue, Tulia TX 79088, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ozark Trails Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flynt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.O. Bass Blacksmith Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swisher County (approx. ¼ mile away); JA Ranch Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Swisher County (approx. ¼ mile away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tulia Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.