This well was hand dug when the town of Palmyra was established in 1857, it served travelers on the Santa Fe Trail, as well as townspeople.
The well is 25 ft in diameter and 56 ft deep and about 17 ft to water.
Erected by Santa Fe Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Santa Fe Trail series list.
Location. 38° 47.159′ N, 95° 10.848′ W. Marker is in Baldwin City, Kansas, in Douglas County. Marker is on Washington Street just east of Palmyra Lane. about one (1) block east of the Baldwin City High School near the intersection of Washington Street and Palmyra Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baldwin City KS 66006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmyra (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trail Park (approx. half a mile away); Baker University (approx. 0.6 miles away); Baldwin (approx.
Regarding Palmyra Well. outdated photo of old (no-existent) signs visible on Google Maps
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2015, by D. Kevin Surbaugh of Baldwin City, Kansas. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2015, by D. Kevin Surbaugh of Baldwin City, Kansas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.