Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Seth Ward College

Three Miles Northeast to Site of

 
 
Seth Ward College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Seth Ward College Marker
Inscription.  Original buildings erected in 1906-07. The school opened September 18, 1907, as Central Plains College and Conservatory of Music, with Dr. L.L. Gladney as president. The Nazarene Church maintained the college until 1910, when it was purchased by the Methodist Church. Dr. Gladney remained president until 1911.

After becoming a Methodist school, the institution changed its name to Seth Ward College in honor of Texas' first native Methodist bishop. The Rev. C.N.N. Ferguson served as president of the first board of trustees, who elected the Rev. J. Sam Barcus president of the college. Enrollment at that time totaled about 300 students.

On the 35-acre campus stood a four-story main building with 27 rooms and a large chapel. Two frame dormitories housed the students and teachers, and a small frame building accommodated the music classes. The school's motto, "Character First," expressed its intent to pursue a Christian educational program.

Presidents who followed Barcus were Dr. W.M. Pearce, The Rev. C.L. McDonald, and M.B. Johnson. The latter served until 1916, when the main building and girls' dormitory burned (the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
boys' dormitory had burned in 1914) and the college was forced to close.
 
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5480.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1907.
 
Location. 34° 11.196′ N, 101° 42.854′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on West 7th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 West 7th Street, Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blasingame Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Discovery Site of the Plainview Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. 0.6 miles away); Plainview Cemetery and Memorial Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dr. James Henry Wayland (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wayland Heritage Plaza (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edwin Lowden Lowe (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
 
Seth Ward College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Seth Ward College Marker
Seth Ward College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. Seth Ward College Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 783 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91240

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024