Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lamar School

 
 
Lamar School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Lamar School Marker
Inscription.  The first Plainview schoolhouse was built in 1887, the year the town was founded. Located northwest of this site, it was a half-dugout sod building similar to many of the pioneer homes of the area. Built by local men under the supervision of Judge J. M. Carter and Col. R. P. Smyth, the structure also served as a community center and was used for the organization of at least two local churches.

In 1889 the Plainview Masonic Lodge constructed a two-story frame building west of this site. The second floor was used for lodge meetings and the ground floor was occupied by the school, which became known as The Llano Estacado Institute for Male and Female in 1893. The building served as the schoolhouse until it burned in 1902.

Shortly after the organization of the Plainview Independent School District in 1902, the elementary school was renamed in honor of the noted Texas leader Mirabeau B. Lamar. A two-story schoolhouse at this site was moved in 1910 when the original section of the present building was constructed.

Later used as a vocational training center, Lamar School reflects the pioneer educational, social, and religious
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
growth of the community.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3017.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 34° 11.069′ N, 101° 41.864′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of East 5th Street and North Date Street, on the right when traveling east on East 5th Street. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schick Opera House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hackberry Groves (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas Land & Development Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainview Daily Herald (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. half a mile away); Green Machinery Co., Inc. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
 
Lamar School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Lamar School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91274

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024