Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Landmark in Georgia Railroading
On March 10, 1834, a group of Athens men met in this house, then the home of Mr. James Camak, to accept the charter of the Georgia Railroad Company and to organize the corporation. At this meeting Mr. Camak was elected its president, and he soon began a tour of the State building up interest in the railroad and explaining its purpose. Camak served as president for two years and played an important part in blazing the way for the future success of the company.
The Georgia Railroad Company was incorporated by an act of the legislature in 1833 and empowered “to construct a Rail or Turnpike Road” from Augusta to Eatonton, Madison, and Athens. It was during Camak's administration, in 1835, that the charter was amended to change the name to Georgia Railroad and Banking Company and to authorize the company to conduct a banking business. The Georgia [Railroad] is the oldest railroad in the State operating under its original charter.
By 1847 the main line from Augusta to Atlanta, as well as a branch line to Athens, had been completed. the company continued its banking activities until 1892, at which time a subsidiary,
Erected 1963 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 029-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 57.57′ N, 83° 23.022′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Finley Street and Meigs Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Finley Street. Northeast corner of N. Finley and Meigs Streets in Athens, at the house. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Georgia Botanical Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louis H. Persley (approx. ¼ mile away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Flight in Georgia (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . . Georgia Railroad History. “The Atlanta branch was completed in 1845 and soon the 171-mile Augusta-Atlanta connection became the main line. It was also a key link in a through line from Charleston to Memphis formed by the Georgia, the South Carolina Railroad, the Western & Atlantic, and the Memphis & Charleston.” (Submitted on July 19, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,134 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?