Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Hackberry Groves

Birthplace of City of Plainview

 
 
Hackberry Groves Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
1. Hackberry Groves Marker
Inscription.  At this site in early days stood the South Plains' most significant trees-- twin hackberry groves, on 1870s trail used by buffalo hunters, surveyors, law officers, and early settlers.

On public domain, the site was unappropriated until mid-1880s when Zachary Taylor Maxwell (1848-1935), a sheep rancher, staked a quarter section claim here. Former Arkansas legislator Edwin L. Lowe, his friend, claimed adjacent 160 acres. They had surveyor R. P. Smyth plat public square half from Maxwell's land, half from Lowe's. Ranchers scoffed; one said he would eat everything ever built here. But claims were staked by others, including families of J. H. Bryan, J. C. Burch, J. M. Carter, Horace Griffin, Thornton Jones, Hugh McClelland, C. W. Marsalis, John Pendley, Poliet Smith, and J. W. Smylie. Jones opened a store. Lowe named town and became first postmaster on March 18, 1887.

When Hale County was organized in 1888, Plainview fulfilled dreams of its founders by becoming county seat. Lowe died July 13, 1889; Maxwell moved away, 1892. Pioneers continued to arrive, see the green trees and rich land, and settle nearby. Other men led city
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to obtain railroad and highway connections, develop trade and commerce and build enduring institutions.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2327.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 18, 1887.
 
Location. 34° 10.8′ N, 101° 41.938′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on Cedar Street south of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is in city park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lamar School (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. 0.4 miles away); Schick Opera House (approx. half a mile away); Texas Land & Development Company (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. 0.6 miles away); Plainview Daily Herald (approx. 0.7 miles away); Green Machinery Co., Inc. (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
 
Hackberry Groves Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
2. Hackberry Groves Marker
Hackberry Groves Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 17, 2015
3. Hackberry Groves Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91295

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024