Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Young and Bexar territories
August 21, 1876
August 13, 1888
Named in Honor of
John C. Hale
a lieutenant who fell
at San Jacinto
Plainview, County Seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2331.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 21, 1876.
Location. 34° 9.68′ N, 101° 42.592′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is at the intersection of SW 20th Street and Business U.S. 87, on the right when traveling east on SW 20th Street. Marker is on U.S. 87 Business Route at city limits in roadside park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emma Grigsby Meharg (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rawleigh Porteus Smyth (approx. 1.1 miles away); W. J. "Jeff" Williams Edwin Lowden Lowe (approx. 1.1 miles away); Plainview Cemetery and Memorial Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Discovery Site of the Plainview Point (approx. 1.4 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Hackberry Groves (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.