King House Museum
Built by Theodore F. King C.1878, photo below late 1890’s.
Miss Louise King was born in this house in 1881 and lived here until her death in 1975. In 1963 she donated the land next to the King Store for the relocation of the Silas Riggs House by the newly-formed Roxbury Township Historical Society. The King property was acquired by Roxbury Township under Green Acres funding in 1984 and the King House and Store were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Restoration of the House was initiated by the Roxbury Rotary Club in 2000 and the site is currently administered by Roxbury Historic Trust, Inc.
Note the differences in the photo –picket fence-foot path-stone mounting block-louvered shutters-absence of round office and porch railing-altered front porch roof line.
Museums at Drakesville open 1 to 4 pm on the 2nd Sunday of each month, April thru December.
Project funded by Roxbury Township, Morris County Historic Preservation Trust, NJ Historic Trust, NJ Dept of the State Historical Commission and private donations.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings
Location. 40° 52.696′ N, 74° 39.102′ W. Marker is in Ledgewood, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Main Street. This marker is located in Roxbury Twp. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ledgewood NJ 07852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Silas Riggs House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morris Canal "King's Basin" (about 400 feet away); Morris Canal (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Morris Canal 1824 – 1924 (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church at Suckasunny Plains (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Morris Canal (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lake Rogerene (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lake Hopatcong Station (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ledgewood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 255 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.