Near Llano in Llano County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Community of Valley Spring
O.C.J. Phillips, first settler, arrived in 1853. Whistleville combined with Bugscuffle to form Valley Spring, with post office established 1878.
This was birthplace of James Field Smathers (1888-1967), inventor of electric typewriter.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9458.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 30° 51.454′ N, 98° 49.159′ W. Marker is near Llano, Texas, in Llano County. Marker is on State Highway 71 0.1 miles south of Farm to Market Road 1659, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Llano TX 78643, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Baby Head Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); Pontotoc and San Fernando Academy (approx. 10.1 miles away); Site of Old Behrns West Texas Normal and Business College (approx. 10.7 miles away); Former Site of Bruhl's Drugstore (approx. 11.1 miles away); Llano Branch (approx. 11.1 miles away); Llano County Organized (approx. 11.2 miles away); Texas Historic Bridge (approx. 11.2 miles away); Old Southern Hotel Building (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Llano.
Also see . . .
1. Valley Spring, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on December 11, 2015.)
2. James Field Smathers. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on December 11, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 476 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.