Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Tyler

 
 
City of Tyler Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randal B. Gilbert, December 11, 2015
1. City of Tyler Marker
Inscription.  In area opened 1839 to white settlers by Republic of Texas victories over Cherokee Indians whose trails led the way to good springs, fine farmlands, useful salines. The first Legislature of the state of Texas named the town (founded 1846) for President John Tyler, who signed the resolution annexing Texas to the United States.

Originally a farm market, Tyler in early years had few men of wealth, but by 1860 was known for good schools, churches and cultured citizens. Several men here raised and commanded troops in Civil War. After mid-1863 this was transportation headquarters for Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederacy. It had an ordnance factory and was site of Camp Ford—the largest P.O.W. post west of the Mississippi.

In 1870s important as site of railroad shops and roundhouse. Developed industries, manufacturing, fruit and vegetable packing, shipping, expanding economy.

Furnished Texas with statesmen, including Governors Richard B. Hubbard (in office 1876-1879), O. M. Roberts (1879-1883) and James Stephen Hogg (1891-1895).

Upon discovery of nearby East Texas oil field in 1931, became
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
investment, banking, servicing center.

Home of Tyler Junior College; Annual Rose Festival.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7762.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #10 John Tyler series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 32° 21.067′ N, 95° 18.083′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of North College Avenue and West Erwin Street, on the left when traveling south on North College Avenue. Marker is located on the west side of the Courthouse plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North College Avenue, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Senator Thomas Glover Pollard (within shouting distance of this marker); Gov. Richard B. Hubbard (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Commercial College
City of Tyler Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randal B. Gilbert, December 11, 2015
2. City of Tyler Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Civic Theatre Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Brady P. Gentry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91468

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024