Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wharton in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Port Oram Community

1860-1895

 
 
Port Oram Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, December 8, 2015
1. Port Oram Community Marker
Inscription.  Settlement, established as port on Morris Canal and Depot on Morris and Essex Railroad. Fostered development of Wharton Furnace. Borough name changed to Wharton in 1902.
 
Erected 1978 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Morris Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 40° 54.002′ N, 74° 34.964′ W. Marker is in Wharton, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 39 North Main Street, Wharton NJ 07885, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morris Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Mary’s Church (approx. one mile away); Picatinny Arsenal WW II Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Picatinny Arsenal (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hurd Park
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Stone Academy (approx. 1.8 miles away); St. John’s Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Bridget Smith House (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 32 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 12, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91510

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 16, 2024