Near Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Civilian Conservation Corps at Palo Duro Canyon State Park
The early veterans groups at the canyon were initially integrated, but the African American troops were reassigned to Sweetwater, Texas in 1934. Two companies of segregated African American enrollees arrived from east Texas in August 1935. the final group of workers to labor in the canyon was comprised of youth members, and when the group
The projects completed by the CCC from 1933 until 1937 included public buildings (such as El Coronado Lodge) and cabins constructed of native sandstone, roads, bridges, culverts and hiking and bridle trails. Many of which are still in use today.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16005.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 11, 1933.
Location. 34° 58.758′ N, 101° 41.481′ W. Marker is near Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker can be reached from State Hwy Park Road 5, 0.8 miles south of Texas Highway 217. Marker is at Palo Duro Canyon State Park visitor center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old JA Ranch (approx. 0.7 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); High Water Mark (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Battle of Palo Duro CanyonSt. Paul Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Palisades State Park Concession Building (approx. 8.9 miles away); Town of Washburn (approx. 15.2 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 15.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 725 times since then and 199 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.