Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Christ Episcopal Church

 
 
Christ Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 13, 2015
1. Christ Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  The Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, began missionary work with this congregation in 1866-1867. The earliest worship services were held in borrowed facilities. The first rector was Hungarian-born Emir Bela Gyeita Cardis Hamvasy, who arrived in 1872. Christ Church Parish was organized in 1874 and moved into a small church building. Plans for a larger brick structure were finalized in 1918. The Rev. Chauncey Edgar Snowden led the first services in the building on Oct. 6, 1918. Today the congregation includes descendants of the earliest parishioners.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7713.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 20.992′ N, 95° 18.164′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bois d'Arc Avenue and West Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on South Bois d'Arc Avenue. The marker is on the exterior wall of the
Christ Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 13, 2015
2. Christ Episcopal Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
Church by the main entry steps. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 S Bois d'Arc Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Marvin Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Commercial College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Tyler Commercial College (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Tyler Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away); Gov. Richard B. Hubbard (about 500 feet away); Senator Thomas Glover Pollard (about 500 feet away); Tyler Civic Theatre Center (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Also see . . .  Christ Episcopal Church. (Submitted on December 14, 2015.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91547

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 26, 2021