Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
1. First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart Marker
Inscription.  In 1849, Rev. N.P. Charlot appointed D.M. Morris and Col. John T. Storey as elders of First Presbyterian Church, which organized with ten members. Early services were held in members’ homes and the Masonic hall before church elders bought this site in 1854. A concrete church building was completed the next year. An 1879 cyclone destroyed that building, replaced by another in 1880 and the current sanctuary in 1914. Long-serving pastors include R.A. McCurdy (1911-23) and Dr. Samuel L. Joekel (1930-54). The Presbyterian Life Center hosts church events and community activities. Today, one of the oldest churches in the city continues to aid its neighbors and the world through service and outreach.
175 years of Texas Independence ★ 1836 - 2011

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16772.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 29° 53.129′ N, 97° 40.285′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on N. Commerce Street south of E. Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caldwell County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Caldwell County (about 500 feet away); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Caldwell County Jail (about 700 feet away); First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (about 800 feet away); Dr. Eugene Clark Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Susanna Dickinson Hannig-Messenger of the Alamo (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
 
Marker next to the First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
2. Marker next to the First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
3. First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
View to east across N. Commerce Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91555

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024