Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Avery and Mary Turner House

 
 
Avery and Mary Turner House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
1. Avery and Mary Turner House Marker
Inscription.  Avery and Mary (Ten Eyck) Turner moved here in 1902. Avery was an executive for the Santa Fe Railroad, his employer for 58 years. Mary helped organize the local American Red Cross chapter and was active with the Salvation Army and other groups. In 1910, the Turners built this home modeled after Mary’s parents’ home in New Jersey. The house stayed in the family until Mary’s death in 1951. One of Amarillo’s very few Dutch colonial revival homes, this two-story side gable brick house has a full-width porch with massive Tuscan columns and a large shed roof dormer. An original brick carriage house later became a guest cottage.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16993.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 35° 11.704′ N, 101° 50.388′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on South
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Polk Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1706 South Polk Street, Amarillo TX 79102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houghton House (within shouting distance of this marker); H. W. and Katie Galbraith House (within shouting distance of this marker); Herring-Crudgington House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shuford-Killough House (about 600 feet away); Polk Street United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eakle-Archer House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jons-Danner-Gilvin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Polk Street Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
 
Avery and Mary Turner House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
2. Avery and Mary Turner House Marker
Avery and Mary Turner House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
3. Avery and Mary Turner House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 651 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91578

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024