Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Mary's Academy

 
 
St. Mary's Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
1. St. Mary's Academy Marker
Inscription.  Established by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in 1899, St. Mary's Academy was originally located in Clarendon (60 mi. SE). In 1913 the institution was moved to Amarillo through the efforts of The Rev. David H. Dunn and the local Knights of Columbus council. The original section of this three-story brick schoolhouse was completed the same year. Later additions were constructed to accommodate the school's growth. Operated by the Amarillo Diocese since 1945, St. Mary's Academy has played a vital role in the educational development of the area.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5059.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
 
Location. 35° 12.153′ N, 101° 50.935′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on South Washington Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 South Washington Street, Amarillo TX 79102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Juan de Padilla (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
line); Panhandle Boys of the World War (about 400 feet away); H. B. Sanborn House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alice Victoria Ghormley Curtis House (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Legion Hanson Post No. 54 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Old First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Louis H. Smith, Inc. Firestone Store (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
 
St. Mary's Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
2. St. Mary's Academy Marker
St. Mary's Academy image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
3. St. Mary's Academy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91597

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024