Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Potter County Courthouse
Organized in August 1887, Potter County erected its first courthouse in 1888 in old town Amarillo. The building was constructed by Mays, Hightower, and Jackson for a cost of $191.
Over the years, three more courthouses were built as Amarillo and Potter County grew. During the 1920's the Panhandle experienced an oil boom. As a result, business increased, the population of Amarillo nearly tripled, and eight sky scrapers were added to the city.
The fifth courthouse in Potter County, this building was designed by Architect W.C. Townes of Townes, Lightfoot and Funk of Amarillo. It was constructed at a cost of $420,000 in 1930-32 by Amarillo builder Charles Lambie. More than 500 laborers, residents of Potter County, applied to work on building the new courthouse.
The Potter County Courthouse is a fine local example of an Art Deco style institutional building. It exhibits stepped massing from its entrance pavilion to the top of the tower, and skillful use of details that include ornamental figural and botanical bas relief, symmetrical pilasters and metal casement windows.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4096.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1887.
Location. 35° 12.478′ N, 101° 50.108′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker can be reached from South Taylor Street south of SW 5th Avenue. Marker is on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 South Taylor Street, Amarillo TX 79101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potter County (here, next to this marker); Potter County Library (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Potter County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fisk Medical Arts & Professional Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rick Husband (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry B. Sanborn (approx. ¼ mile away); Amarillo (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Bradley Sanborn (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.