Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Armory

 
 
The Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
1. The Armory Marker
Inscription.  Casperís unique National Guard Armory was built here in 1930 to house the Headquarters Troop of the 115th Cavalry Regiment. The indoor field provided room for training both horses and men, and even hosted the occasional polo match until the regiment was called to active duty on February 24, 1941.
The first level housed the drill area, horse stalls, blacksmith shop, wagon shop, and equipment room. The second level contained the hay loft, a viewing area, and a ballroom with hardwood floors.
In 1987, the structure was razed to improve traffic flow around Casper College. This monument reflects the fond memories of Armory activities shared by many Casper citizens.
 
Erected 1989 by Natrona County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. A significant historical date for this entry is February 24, 1941.
 
Location. 42° 50.082′ N, 106° 19.379′ W. Marker is in Casper, Wyoming, in Natrona County. Marker is on South Wolcott Street (State Highway 251) near Dublin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1699 South Wolcott Street, Casper WY 82601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oregon-California Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wyoming's Oil & Gas (approx. 1.2 miles away); Monument Corrections (approx. 1.2 miles away); Pioneer Monument / Fort Casper (approx. 1.2 miles away); City of Casper (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Casper: "The Oil Capital of the Rockies" (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Fort Casper (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Casper.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in a triangular park, bordered by South Wolcott Dublin and East 15th streets, at the northern edge of Casper College.
 
The Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
2. The Armory Marker
The marker is on the left, a model of the Armory, mounted on a brick base, is on the right.
Model of the Armory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
3. Model of the Armory
Model of the Armory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
4. Model of the Armory
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91674

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024