Near Wildorado in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery
In 1901, residents organized the Palo Duro Missionary Baptist Church and held services in the schoolhouse. They moved across the road in 1905. In May 1910, the school moved approximately two miles north, and the property reverted back to its original owner. The land with the gravesites was deeded to the community in 1914 for use as a cemetery.
During the mid-20th century, area residents bought additional land and added a well and fence. As the burial site of numerous area residents, as well as men and women veterans of the military, the cemetery serves as a link to the area's rich history.
Erected 2004. (Marker Number 13076.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1892.
Location. 35° 7.004′ N, 102° 12.211′ W. Marker is near Wildorado, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 809, 6˝ miles south of Interstate 40, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wildorado TX 79098, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palo Duro Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Umbarger (approx. 12˝ miles away); Randall County (approx. 13 miles away); Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail (approx. 16.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 19, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on May 25, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. 3. submitted on December 19, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on May 25, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. 5. submitted on December 19, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.