Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Pleasant in Isabella County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Doughty House

 
 
Doughty House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., October 25, 2015
1. Doughty House Marker
Inscription.  Built about 1865 this oldest remaining house in Mt. Pleasant was purchased by Wilkinson Doughty in 1869. An early hardware and dry goods merchant, Doughty was a town trustee, and a founder of Central Michigan Normal School, now Central Michigan University. A carefully preserved example of balloon frame pioneer architecture, the house has remained in the family since Doughty's death in 1909. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
 
Erected 1975 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L223.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
 
Location. 43° 36.386′ N, 84° 46.441′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, in Isabella County. Marker is at the intersection of Chippewa Street and Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west on Chippewa Street. Touch for map.
Doughty House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., October 25, 2015
2. Doughty House
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Chippewa Street, Mount Pleasant MI 48858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isabella County Courthouse and Jail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Isabella County Courthouse Postcards (about 600 feet away); The Isabella County Court House was already over thirty years old… (about 600 feet away); Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant (about 700 feet away); Sacred Heart Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Michigan University (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Indian Mills (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91750

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022