Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boys Ranch in Oldham County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oldham County

 
 
Oldham County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
1. Oldham County Marker
Inscription.  
Formed from Young and Bexar
Territories
Created
August 21, 1876
Organized
January 12, 1881
Named in honor of
Williamson Simpson Oldham
1813-1868
Arkansas lawyer and jurist
member of the
Confederate Senate from Texas
County seat, Tascosa, 1881
Vega, since 1915

 
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 3845.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1881.
 
Location. 35° 32.067′ N, 102° 15.989′ W. Marker is in Boys Ranch, Texas, in Oldham County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 385, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 385. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boys Ranch TX 79010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic LS (here, next to this marker); Old Tascosa (here, next to this marker); Cal Farley's Boys Ranch
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(here, next to this marker); Boot Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tascosa Courthouse, 1884 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tascosa (approx. 0.6 miles away); Matador Cowboys Reunion Association (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boys Ranch.
 
Oldham County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
2. Oldham County Marker
Oldham County Marker is in center of photo. The other markers are: Cal Farley's Boys Ranch, The Historic LS and Old Tascosa.
Oldham County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
3. Oldham County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91774

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024