Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Peoria in Peoria County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Peoria on The Riverfront / Peoria

 
 
Peoria on The Riverfront Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ginger Drenning, July 12, 2008
1. Peoria on The Riverfront Marker
Easy free parking - garage. Many sites to see along river front walkway.
Inscription.  

Marker Front:
Peoria on The Riverfront

The Illinois River is the Major Waterway within Illinois Boundaries. Native Americans are known to have lived along its banks for 11,000 years.

1673 Along this riverfront Frenchmen Marquette and Jolliet encountered the Peoria Tribe of the Illiniwek Indiana.

1680 LaSalle constructed the ill-fated Fort Creve Coeur on the East side of the river.

1691 Fort St. Louis was established on Peoria’s Northside by Henri De Tonti and a party of French Marines. This small village was the first European settlement in the Illinois Territory and remained there until 1796.

1778 On this site French-speaking inhabitants built a new village (La Ville de Maillet). This village extended several blocks downstream and became a fur trading center.

1812 American Territorial Militia burned La Ville de Maillet, ending the French influence in Peoria History.

Marker Reverse
Peoria
The Development of an American City.

1813 American
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Military forces constructed Fort Clark, one block South of this site.

1819 First American settlers arrived in Peoria.

1829 Steamboats first docked here at the Levee.

1845 The City of Peoria became Incorporated.

1854 Railroad facilities allowed rapid growth of goods and services.

Mid 1800's Strong industries arose in Peoria - foundries, pork packing, farm implements, breweries, distillers, wholesale warehousing, stockyards, and pottery making.

1860 Distilleries and Breweries generated major tax revenues to help finance the Civil War.

Late 1800's Distillery row extended along the riverfront. Peoria became known as the “Whiskey Capital of the World.”

1909 Holt Co. Of California, later Caterpillar, began local operations.

1910 Caterpillar began operations.

1920 Prohibition ended Peoria’s whiskey era.

1925 Best and Holt Companies merged to form Caterpillar. Peoria later became known as “The Earthmoving Capitol of The World.”

Late 1990's Commerce, industry, and the Arts Thrive in Peoria.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1796.
 
Location. 40° 
Peoria - The Development of an American City Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ginger Drenning, July 12, 2008
2. Peoria - The Development of an American City Marker
41.392′ N, 89° 35.232′ W. Marker is in Peoria, Illinois, in Peoria County. Marker is at the intersection of NE Water Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on NE Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 NE Water Street, Peoria IL 61602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schwab - Powell Building (here, next to this marker); Waterborn Services Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military Services Memorial Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); Manitowoc Submarines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Peoria Skyline (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bridges (approx. 0.4 miles away); CILCO-Wallace Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); Steamboats (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Peoria.
 
Riverfront Visitor Center and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ginger Drenning, July 12, 2008
3. Riverfront Visitor Center and Marker
Any and all questions are answered. Very helpful with directions and other tour providers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,819 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9178

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024