Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburg in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Black Diamond

 
 
Black Diamond Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 25, 2015
1. Black Diamond Marker
Inscription.  In 1860, at the confluence of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, settlers founded the village of Black Diamond. Named for the coal that was mined in the Mount Diablo foothills, the village of Black Diamond flourished as a shipping port for coal bound to Stockton, Sacramento and San Francisco and a stopover for gold miners bound for the Motherlode.

In 1911, with the coal running out and new industries on the rise, the town of Black Diamond became the city of Pittsburg.

Dedicated September 9, 6000 (1995)
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13
E Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 1995 by E Clampus Vitus Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 38° 1.943′ N, 121° 53.09′ W. Marker is in Pittsburg, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of East 5th Street and Marina
Black Diamond Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 25, 2015
2. Black Diamond Marker - Wide View
Click or scan to see
this page online
Boulevard, on the right when traveling west on East 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburg CA 94565, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bank of America (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “The Steelworker in Pittsburg” (about 400 feet away); Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building (about 400 feet away); California Theatre (about 500 feet away); Bristol Bay Sail Gill Netter (about 600 feet away); Federal Relocation of Italians in America During World II (about 700 feet away); Old Antioch's Railroads (approx. 3.4 miles away); Riverview Union High School (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
 
Also see . . .  City of Pittsburg: Our History. The City of Pittsburg presents its history: "...The earliest recorded history of our town starts in the year 1839 when the Mexican government granted almost 10,000 acres to Jose Antone Mesa and Miguel Jose Garcia. Shortly thereafter the little town was named New York of the Pacific, possibly because the man who laid out the town, Colonel J.D. Stevenson, was a native of New York. This area soon became known as New York Landing and thrived on fishing and canning industries. Following the discovery of coal in the hills three miles south of town, the town was renamed Black Diamond in 1868....In 1906 Columbia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Geneva Steel opened for business, and by popular vote on February 11, 1911, the name was changed to Pittsburg, after the eastern birthplace of the steel industry but without the "H" for simplified spelling."
(Submitted on December 27, 2015.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91846

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 28, 2022